Saturday, August 15, 2020

In His Presence

I believe in partaking of the Lord's Supper every Sunday. It is a pattern of what Jesus did at His last Passover. He ate supper and then the bread and fruit of the vine with His apostles. We follow His example to feel and be in His presence. Acts 2:28 (NET) states: "You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of joy with your presence." When we remember His sacrifice by eating emblems that represent His body and blood, we commune with Him and one another in a special spiritual event.

A question I've pondered frequently is whether or not Jesus was advocating a special kind of bread and fruit of the vine? There were special arrangements made for the Passover, but were there special arrangements for the Lord's Supper? He took break. What bread? The bread that was available. Are we limited to yeastless, Jewish feast type bread? What about our wine? Like the  bread it was what was served as part of the evenings festivities. If we look closely at the ingredients in our loaf and juice today, we might be surprised. My opinion? These concerns don't matter...to me.

I do affirm I'm never going to spread peanut butter on a cracker as part of communion. The importance of the ceremony is that I should be full of joy with Christ's presence. The words of Sandi Patty's song In His Presence released in 1992 express it well:

In the quiet of this hour, as I kneel before You now, I believe Your promise to be faithful. I don't always understand what Your perfect will demands; but I've learned to trust You more in Your presence, Lord.

In Your presence there is comfort; in Your presence there is peace. When we seek to know Your heart, we will find such blessed assurance in Your holy presence, Lord.

There can be such sweet reward when we wait upon the Lord. As we take the time, He gives His perfect wisdom. To be found in Him alone; all our deepest secrets known. We're surrounded by His grace When we seek His face.

In Your presence there is comfort; in Your presence there is peace. When we seek the father's heart, we will find such blessed assurance. An ever open door to know our Savior more, in the presence of my Lord.

gray stainless steel chalice and bread bun
photo by James Coleman on unsplash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment