Monday, August 10, 2020

Que Sera Sera

sun reflection on calm water near green mountains
Iceland photo by Davide Cantelli
on Unsplash.com

Toward the conclusion of a particularly moving sermon yesterday, our minister mentioned one of our elders who has had a tough struggle with cancer. He is not responding to the treatments and has decided to discontinue them and rest at home with family for the time that is left to him on this earth. Apparently his doctors have stated that as 6-8 weeks. Though that is very sad, this man of God's attituded is phenomenal.

He always has a big, friendly smile along with words of encouragement for all. The children know him as the Candyman. He is seldom at church without his plastic box filled with hard candies of all kinds, shapes, and colors. Knowing the power of prayer and the membership at our congregation, I can state confidently that the prayers for his full recovery will continue to flow up to the Lord during this time.

This reminded me of a song I used to sing in my preteen years long ago. Que Sera Sera was first recorded by Doris Day in 1956. I was probably about eight years old when I first heard it. I used to change the character in the song to a little boy. Here are the [slightly edited] lyrics:

When I was just a little [boy] I asked my mother, "What will I be?
Will I be [handsome]? Will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me:
Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

[When I was] just a boy at school I asked my teacher, "What should I try?
Should I paint pictures? Should I sing songs?" This was her wise reply:
Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

When I grew up and fell in love I asked my [sweetheart], "What lies ahead?
Will we have rainbows day after day?" Guess what my [sweetheart] said:
Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

Now I have [grand] children of my own; they ask their [Grandpa], "What will I be?
Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" I tell them, "Wait and see."
Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

I'm pretty sure that's the outlook of the man who is the subject of this blog. What will be, will be. I imagine his testimony would be similar to the Apostle Paul's in Philippians 1:22-26 (MSG): As long as I’m alive in this body, there is good work for me to do. If I had to choose right now, I hardly know which I’d choose. Hard choice! The desire to break camp here and be with Christ is powerful. Some days I can think of nothing better. But most days, because of what you are going through, I am sure that it’s better for me to stick it out here. So I plan to be around awhile, companion to you as your growth and joy in this life of trusting God continues. You can start looking forward to a great reunion when I come visit you again. We’ll be praising Christ, enjoying each other.

My other blog, Imagine! is all about what I imagine heaven was/is like for Jesus and subsequently for us. I like to imagine...so allow me to do that for a moment as I close these thoughts.

I imagine someday walking the streets of gold, crossing the bridge over the River of Life, and there in the distance spying a man standing in the shade of the Tree of Life. He is surrounded by children. They are happily singing and dancing as they enjoy his smiling countenance and the treats of varied fruits and candies he is dispensing from the plastic box he holds in his hand. Both he and they are joyful in the moment as they relish this new life. Thriving in the light of God's love in this most beautiful place called Heaven. Can you imagine?

No comments:

Post a Comment