Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Mad Dashes

grayscale photo of people during marathon
photo by Braden Collum on unsplash.com

In Luke 15:20, the Prodigal Son was reunited with his father. On that day that father could've defeated Jesse Owens, Carl Lewis, Usain Bolt, or Michael Johnson in any short sprint. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.


As a child, I was impressed with athletes such as are listed in that last paragraph. One of my heroes was Jim Ryan. He wasn't a sprinter. He ran the mile/1500 meters. He competed at the Olympic level. Later as a Harding University student, I knew of a fellow student and college track star named Jim Crawford. He never achieved the same notoriety as Ryan. Years later I asked a man "in the know" about track athletes of /the RyanCrawford era what the difference was between those two Jims. He said it was about 100 miles. That was the amount of training each week that set Ryan above Crawford. I'm not certain of that reasoning, but it could be the reality.

The Bible is filled with stories of great runs and mad dashes from both heroes and goats. John 20:4-8 relates the time Peter and John raced. Upon hearing of the empty tomb, that set out together in a mad dash. John reach the tomb first and paused allowing Peter to overtake him. Peter didn't hesitate, but sprinted into the cave.

Overcome with an urgency to preach the gospel to the Ethiopian eunuch, Philip dashed to the chariot. He seized the opportunity, and the Ethiopian treasurer went home a baptized believer. A final positive example of a mad dasher was Joseph in Genesis 39:12 (NLT)...Potaphar's wife tried to entice Joseph into adultery as she came and grabbed him by his cloak, demanding, “Come on, sleep with me!” Joseph tore himself away, but he left his cloak in her hand as he ran from the house.

Others were goats and ran in the opposite direction. Jonah was one who ran away from God (Jonah 1:3) Likewise the story of Jesus' betrayal and capture by the Judas-led-mob in the garden ends when "all the disciples deserted him and fled" (Matthew 26:56, NIV). I hope if a similar opportunity presents itself, I  won't make the mad dash for safety in fear of my life as those men did.

I never was one to enjoy a lot of running just for the sake of running whether it be a jog or a sprint. The extent of my mad dashes in an athletic venue were the few quick steps required to get in position to kill a racquetball in the front corner of the court for a winner.

I long for the day when my heavenly Father will spot me walking those last footsteps to the gates of heaven. Perhaps he will sprint to me, sweep me up into his arms, and kiss me. I pray someday to be witness to that event as God madly dashes to enfold me in his welcoming embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment