Wednesday, July 1, 2020

More...

In her namesake movie, Sabrina cautioned the extremely wealthy and sometimes arrogant Linus, "More isn't always better, Linus. Sometimes it's just more." I was recently reminded of this quote by the love of my life.

I've been working out regularly and somewhat strenuously at Planet Fitness for the last six weeks or so  since their post-quarantine reopening in May. I had begun on a new fitness journey early this year. After nearly two months, the pandemic hit and temporarily shut that adventure down. I needed the routine, the fixed workout regimen, the regular pattern. I had actually been following most of what the trainer had described in our early meeting to design an exercise program.

After the reopening I felt I wasn't being challenged enough. I nearly doubled my workout. It actually felt pretty good. No pain, no gain...and all that. Today we met with our trusted trainer to rethink and redesign. I discovered I've been a bad boy, a very bad boy. I hadn't been resting muscle groups as I should. I wasn't exercising smarter, just morer (don't correct my grammar...I'm not in the mood).

After an hour and forty-five minute reassessment with an introduction to a whole bunch of stuff I hadn't been doing or hadn't been doing correctly, I left mentally exhausted. Several hours of frustration later, I realized they were right, and I was a hard-headed idiot.

When my wife reminded me of the Sabrina quote, I thought of something else. A colleague of mine at Martin Methodist College about 18 years ago returned from an admissions trip. He had just met my wife who was counselor at the high school he had visited. Tony approached me with the totally truthful statement, "Kerbe, you married up!" I agreed...way up!

This nostalgic trip down memory lane led to another thought from a conversation between Linus and Sabrina's father Fairchild, the chauffeur. Fairchild said, "You don't deserve her." To which Linus replied, "I don't, I know that; but I need her, and I don't need anything."
photo from hospital.news.com

One of my 2020 resolutions was to exercise more. Six months later my July 1, 2020, revolution is to exercise smarter. My wife's reminder was right on! More isn't always better, sometimes it's just more. Thanks, Delores. I look forward to your helping me find the right path at the gym as you always have in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment