Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The Pitt Theater



Pitt Theater circa 1949
It was the Fifties, the Age of Sputnik and the rising Cold War. The Pitt movie theater was on Elysian Fields Avenue at the corner of Robert E. Lee Boulevard in New Orleans. Built in 1949 by T.A. Pittman, the building seated 1,100 patrons. It wasn't far from where I grew up. Its proximity was probably the reason my brother and I were dropped off there many Saturday afternoons while our mother went shopping.

As I remember it, admission to the kiddie matinee was 50 cents. For another four bits we could add pop corn, coke, and a couple of candy choices. My favorites were candy-coated almonds, Necos, Snow Caps,and Bit-O'-Honey (it lasted a long, long time). We really got our money's worth at the Pitt; and the value didn't stop at the concession stand.

Once we were comfy in our theater seats, the show would start. There was always a newsreel, at least one cartoon (Road Runner and Wylie Coyote was my  favorite - talk about resilience! That coyote had it.), previews of coming attractions, and then right before the movie was my favorite part. It was the reason kids kept coming back for the Saturday afternoon kiddie matinee at the Pitt...the serial. Some sort of saga in bits and pieces with a new add-on every week. I remember Penelope getting rescued numerous times from the railroad track in the nick of time by the smiling hero on the white horse. I believe his name was Dudley Do Right.

I have a lot of time on my hands these days. First it was just retirement; today add the social distancing and quarantine that have arrived with the viral pandemic. I also have a book that is only partially finished. It was to be one of my retirement projects...for the last three years. I just couldn't decide what to do with it. Then I had these memories of the serials at the Pitt Theater all those decades ago. Since I'm back to blogging regularly in 2020, why not self-publish my novella as a serial blog? Perhaps my dozen or so followers would enjoy that.
Bit-O-Honey Candy - 5lb
Bit-O'-Honey

Before someone comments on this being a bad April Fool's joke, let me state that I know I'm a procrastinator and don't follow through well on resolutions. This year I have been fairly good at eating right, exercising regularly, and blogging. There is hope that I could accomplish the somewhat formidable task of a serial blog. I have worked on this book idea off and on for well over a decade...more off than on. That is about to change. I simply need to reach out to a very smart friend, husband of an avid blogger, and get a platform set up. Then I just need to start copying, pasting, and editing.

So thanks Pitt Theater for the memories and the inspiration. I didn't even have to go into my Idea File for this blog. All I need now is a  Bit-O'-Honey to keep me going. Hope somebody still makes those.

No comments:

Post a Comment