Saturday, April 18, 2020

Three?


Have you ever had trouble counting to three? I must admit that lately its been an issue. Since this quarantine began over a month ago shutting down Planet Fitness and our daily 2020 workouts, I've been exercising at home five or six days a week. The routine I've established takes about 25 minutes.

I have a pair of eight-pound hand weights. I have developed a regimen of 12 exercises. seven of these involve the weights with one set of 50 reps each. I've added 50 each of four calisthenics including crunches, wall push ups, wall sittings, and neck stretches. The workout concludes by my returning to the weights for six sets of 10 reps each. The exercises take about 12 minutes.

Through my house there is a 20-second lap that goes from the master bedroom, through the master bath, around the kitchen, dining room, and living room. I begin and end my body maintenance schedule by walking three laps. Furthermore I walk three laps between each of the dozen exercises. The 39 laps take about 13 minutes. The total workout is about 25 minutes. When weather permits my wife and I supplement this with a neighborhood walk.

I concentrate fairly well on keeping count of the 50 reps during the exercise portion. My problem is when I'm keeping track of the three 20-second laps walking through the house. If I don't display the first lap with my index finger, the second lap with two fingers (peace sign or victory), and the third lap with three fingers, I tend to forget what lap I'm on. So I'm careful to count them on my fingers. I display the new number each time I exit the bedroom and head through the bathroom.
image from PsalmQuotes.com

I'm afraid this quarantine is taking a toll on this 71-year-old man. I can count to 50, but I struggle remembering the sequence to three. Don't care so much that I have those opposable thumbs, but I'm very glad I have three fingers on each hand. I plan to continue to use what God has given me. As Psalm 139:14 states...I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Praise God for my ability to count to three.

No comments:

Post a Comment