Monday, January 6, 2020

Comfort

The title and key verse of my blogging adventure this time from The Message in Luke 11:25 is the phrase "swept and dusted but vacant." Jesus teaches that when conquering any sinful, addictive, or unhealthy behavior, we need to replace it with something or someone productive and beneficial.

There have been times when Delores left for a professional trip or to care for grandkids, and I did not accompany her. On such occasions it was my habit to make a Kroger run to buy comfort foods...ice cream, cookies, pound cake, cashews, etc. I'm hoping to let Jesus put an end to that unhealthy custom.

I remembered Paul's writing about comfort. Amazingly I found that passage without Google or a concordance! In 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 (NIV) that traveling author uses the word comfort nine times. He begins  with "the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort." God is the answer to my emotional eating. He has recently led me to daily meditation, prayer, Bible reading, and back to blogging. I have asked Him to help me use healthier ways instead of comfort food as the answer to stress or loneliness.

He has given me an additional solution for healthy living: Planet Fitness. In the past a three-mile walk in the forested hills of Maury County Park has helped me relieve stress and added a comforting behavior. During wintry months this proves challenging. Working out at my new "gym" would seem to be another God-given response in my journey to a healthier lifestyle. Thank you, Lord, for filling the vacancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment