Saturday, May 16, 2020

Back in the Habit

No, this blog is not about Maria returning from the Von Trapp family mansion to the convent for a short time in the Sound of Music. It is about escape. Maria was running from love. I drove to Planet Fitness yesterday after six weeks away to escape the quarantine and its routines.

Instead of the 30-minute workout I'd been repeating for a month in my house with walking and light weights, I returned to the gym with its many workout machines and a one hour thirty minute regimen. I sweated, I became tired, I reveled in the variety. I plan to return today. Kind of makes me think of the song by Chicago: Saturday in the Park. The lyrics of that popular ballad were written by Robert Lamm in 1971 (the year I was married) for the Chicago V album published the next year. The opening stanza lyrics are:

Saturday in the park I think it was the Fourth of July
Saturday in the park I think it was the Fourth of July
People dancing, people laughing, a man selling ice cream
Singing Italian songs...Eh cumpari, ci vo sunari [Hey, buddy, what's that sound]
Can you dig it (yes, I can), And I've been waiting such a long time for Saturday.

I could parody those words to become Saturday in the gym...People walking, people lifting, a man sanitizing...and I've been waiting such a long time for reopening. So life is beginning to return to normalcy or the new normal, as some have termed it.

from zerotoalpha.com

I'm ready to start seeing friends and family again...with precautions. I plan to wear the stylish masks my wife made for me, I don't plan physical contacts of welcome, and I'm going to limit distancing and numbers of those with whom I reconnect. With that plan in my mind, I'm ready to practice some Fitness Distancing by getting back in the habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment