Sunday, May 10, 2020

Up on the Roof

Back in January of this year, before the pandemic hit and the quarantine began, we spent five days in my hometown New Orleans celebrating our 49th anniversary. We stayed in a condo down in the French Quarter just off Canal Street. (I posted lots of those pictures on Facebook for the dates January 20-24 2020. I also posted about our anniversary trip on those days in this blog.) Isaiah 22:1 (NIV) states a fairly realistic summary of life in the French Quarter...What troubles you now that you have all gone up on the roofs, you town so full of commotion, you city of tumult and revelry?

We spent our days seeing sights in the Crescent City such as City Park, the World War II Museum, The Insect Emporium, the Riverwalk Mall, and the French Quarter Flea Market. There were plenty of childhood memories conjuring up in my mind. In spite of some rain, we had a good time.

Roof Deck
View from Bluegreen Club La Pension -- Up on the Roof!
Evenings we investigated our quaint and mystical resort. It had lots of cultural artifacts in addition to two floors with rooftop areas and panoramic views of the surrounding Quarter. It reminded me of a favorite song from my Rock and Roll years as a boy, Up on the Roof. The song was written in 1962 and quickly was made popular by the Drifters and later James Taylor.




Up on the Roof
When this old world starts getting me down and people are just too much for me to face
I climb way up to the top of the stairs and all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be; and there the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now...
When I come home feelin' tired and beat, I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowd and all that rat-race noise down in the street (up on the roof)
On the roof, the only place I know where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof)
At night the stars put on a show for free and, darling, you can share it all with me
I keep a-tellin' you...
Right smack dab in the middle of town I've found a paradise that's trouble proof (up on the roof)
And if his world starts getting you down there's room enough for two up on the roof.


Pleasant memories are wonderful thoughts to have whether remembering from my pillow-induced dreams during the night, or daydreaming from a favorite recliner in my bonus room after lunch. A favorite song often helps with that journey into reliving the past. Music can carry me away to the safety and imagery of a few moments Up on the Roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment