Monday, May 11, 2020

Fresh from the Dryer

A few months ago, in my fading memory of the early quarantine daze, I had just finished my in-house, 30-minute workout routine. It was time for a shower. It must've been Monday, because it was laundry day. I neglected to check for my towel before getting in the tub. The hot water felt good.

Upon concluding my cleansing task, I opened the curtain and reached for my towel. It wasn't hanging in its usual, convenient place on the back of the bathroom door. That was an easy reach, except when it wasn't. The air is always a bit on the chilly side with the exhaust fan blowing and the door left ajar. That's when I remembered, "Laundry day!"

Dripping and chilled, I called for my wife. Fortunately she heard me and responded quickly. She brought my towel fresh from the dryer. It was fluffed up and very warm. Oh, the blissful warmth of a towel just out of the dryer. Heavenly it wasn't; but at that moment, it seemed close.

photo by carolynpriesterjones.org
I was reminded of John 13:4-5 (NIV) as it relates a special episode involving Jesus and a towel, "He got up from the meal, took off his  outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him." Was it a chilly evening in that room? Was a breeze flowing through it? Was the towel warmed from the sun right off the clothes line? What was the temperature of the water in the basin?

 I can Imagine! the temperature of towel or water.  How soothing it must've been as the Master anointed their feet and then dried them. There's nothing like a foot massage and washing after a long day tramping through the dusty streets of Jerusalem. Neither is there anything quite like a warm towel fresh from the dryer after a brisk workout and hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment