Saturday, May 30, 2020

Out on a Limb

When the apostle Paul penned the words of 1 Timothy 1:12-14 (MSG), he was reflecting on his life's work: "I’m so grateful to Christ Jesus for making me adequate to do this work. He went out on a limb, you know, in trusting me with this ministry. The only credentials I brought to it were invective and witch hunts and arrogance. But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus."

I feel the same way sometimes. My 40 years as an educator found me adequate to do this work. Since junior high age, I'd wanted to be nothing more than a teacher. Jesus went out on a limb and gave me the education, experience, enthusiasm, and energy to be what I needed to be in those classrooms.

During my last 16 career years as professor of education at Martin Methodist College, my students would frequently ask me when I was going to retire. I don't think they were asking hopefully but rather simply from curiosity. My answer was always the same, "When I can't enter this classroom and be excited and enthusiastic about teaching you to be teachers, it will be time to retire." That actually never happened. I retired anyway in 2017. I still keep in touch with many of my graduates on Facebook. Most are now my colleagues and doing exceptional work in the classroom. I enjoyed following their 2020 challenges.

Thinking back on the 1 Timothy 12 passage, I imagine what Paul might be asking is captured in the lyrics of the song "Why Me, Lord?"

Why me, Lord, what have I ever done to deserve even one of the blessings I've known?
Why me, Lord, what did I ever do that was worth love from you and the kindness you've shown?
Lord, help me Jesus, I've wasted it so; help me, Jesus, I know what I am.
Now that I know that I've needed you so, help me, Jesus, my soul's in your hand.

Try me, Lord, if you think there's a way, I can try to repay all I've taken from you.
Maybe, Lord, I can show someone else what I've been through myself on my way back to you.
Lord, help me, Jesus, I've wasted it so; help me, Jesus, I know what I am.
Now that I know that I've needed you so, help me, Jesus, my soul's in your hand.

This song poses a sobering question which translates in my mind to, "What have I ever done to deserve my career, my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my travel opportunities, and now my retirement?" The even more sobering answer comes to me, "NOTHING! Absolutely nothing."

My son Matt...out on a limb decades ago

I take solace in Paul's words in Romans 7:25 (MSG): "The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different." Jesus took a  chance on me. He went out on a limb. For. Me! Jesus, my soul's in your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment